Electric lawn mowers belong to one of two major types of lawn mowers: gas and electric. Electric lawn mowers are considered to be more convenient than gas lawn mowers for a number of reasons.
- They are lighter and easier to maneuver, so are more common in households where the area that needs to be mowed is smaller. This is particularly advantageous for those who are limited in their ability to move physically, such as the elderly or disabled.
- They do not require oil changes, engine tuneups, or refueling, where gas lawn mowers do. An electric lawn mower only needs to be charged or plugged in to start up.
- They are much quieter than gas lawn mowers, meaning they are more appropriate for residential areas. They also emit fewer pollutants which contribute to global warming and can be a health hazard.
- They are less expensive than gas lawn mowers.
- They are easier to use than gas lawn mowers. Electric lawn mowers tend to turn on with a single button while gas lawn mowers require the user to pull on a pull cord to start up.
However, they also come with some disadvantages:
- They are less powerful than gas lawn mowers. Therefore, it may be difficult to mow thick or hardy grass. Gas lawn mowers are more suitable for tall, wild, or uneven grass.
- If you are using a cordless mower, the reserve power might not last long enough to cover a large swath of grass.
- They are less durable than gas lawn mowers.
Many homes are now opting for electric lawn mowers for both convenience and environmental
reasons. Overall, electric lawn mowers are more suited to residential and quiet areas with small, flat areas of grass.
EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower
The EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower is a top-of-the-line electric lawn mower that retails for approximately $450, more than double that of most of the other lawn mowers on this list. However, its hefty price tag comes with a number of features that more than justify its price.
This lawn mower boasts a 20-inch deck that clears wide swaths of grass, meaning it will take fewer passes to fully mow any area. Its powerful 56-volt lithium-ion battery allows for 2 full miles of mowing, more than enough for any household. Not only is the battery capacity impressive, it can also be fully charged within 30 minutes. The frame of the mower is high quality and can easily be folded up and stowed away in a small corner of the garage at a minute’s notice. Its quality build will most likely mean that it will last longer than a cheaper model. It also claims to produce 30% less noise than the standard gas lawn mower.
The EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower is not perfect, of course, starting with its price tag. It is certainly an investment and should be reserved for those who truly want the best. On top of its $450 price tag, a replacement battery would also cost $200, and the life expectancy of the battery depends on its rate of use.
Overall, the EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower is considered the “Tesla of lawn mowers” for good reason: it is an expensive, high-quality mower than will last for years. It is a fantastic investment for someone who is looking for something that will last and possibly be passed down to their children.
Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25022
The Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25022 is the best-value electric lawn mower on this list. Retailing for approximately $150, it is a great entry-level lawn mower for someone just starting out or looking for a workhorse that will do what you need with few frills.
This corded electric lawn mower is powered by a 12-amp motor that is powerful enough to cut the toughest grass. Its 20″ rust-protected deck allows for fewer passes over the same lawn to finish the job. This also offers 7 positions that gives the mower the freedom to choose the desired height of the grass. Weighing in at only 56 pounds, this is a lightweight mower than can be easily maneuvered and used by just about anyone.
The main disadvantages of the Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25022 is that it is a corded electric lawn mower. This means that a mower has to be conscientious of cord management so as not to pass over the cord while mowing. With time and a bit of care, this should be an issue, but is something to keep in mind when considering this mower.
Overall, the Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25022 is perfect as a first lawn mower, since it offers all the basics with few drawbacks. Its low price also cannot be beat.
GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
The GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower is a mid-level electric lawn mower that offers similar functions to its corded counterpart but gives the mower the freedom to move around without worrying about passing over an electrical cord.
The GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower has a 19″ deck that cuts a fairly wide swath of grass, more than enough for a standard residential yard. A single-lever height adjustment offers 7 different heights of grass, depending on preference. At 53 pounds along with 10″ rear wheels and 7″ front wheels, it is extremely mobile and convenient to use for people of all abilities. As an electric lawn mower, it is also extremely quiet and appropriate for residential areas.
The drawbacks of GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower mostly concern its battery life. Since it is cordless, it offers a limited amount of mowing time before it will need to be recharged. However, its charging time is fairly short at about 30 minutes.